Anytime is a good time to express appreciation for pastors, especially during Pastor Appreciation Month in October. Every October across North America churches give focused attention to appreciating their pastors in tangible ways.
Here are ideas and resources to offer the kind of encouragement and affirmation that will help your pastor(s) and their spouse(s) flourish and strengthen your partnership.
Thank you for living out the words of the Apostle Paul who wisely encouraged us “to respect those who work hard among you . . . hold them in the highest regard in love because of their work” (1 Thess. 5:13-14).
Together in faith, let’s expect God to do great things to affirm and appreciate the pastors and spouses of The Wesleyan Church.
2018 Pastor Appreciation Ideas
Here are 20 great ways to show appreciation to your pastor(s) for all he or she does—not just in October, but anytime throughout the year!
1. Send your pastor and spouse to The Gathering 2019. The Gathering is a once-every-four-year event designed to encourage Wesleyan It is never too late to begin to plan and to show appreciation! Click here for details and to register.
2. Enroll with your pastor in the Thrive Financial Initiative. Thanks to a significant grant from the Lilly Endowment, Education & Clergy Development is able to offer matching grants with local churches and/or districts to help address financial challenges faced by clergy, things such as debt, future pension, health care costs, and more. Click here for detailed information and how to enroll in this significant opportunity for your pastor.
3. Buy your pastor a Wesley Study Bible. WPH is offering two wonderful deals to assist you in celebrating your pastor. Click here to get a Wesley Study Bible for $10 and receive 50 percent off all promotional items your pastor will love. Log into wphstore.com and use the code PASTORCARE18 at checkout.
4. Counseling/Coaching & Marriage Check-up. The Wesleyan Church has a unique relationship with PastorServe and SonScape Retreats. PastorServe offers pastoral counseling and coaching for clergy and spouses, while SonScape offers top-notch retreats for clergy couples. See these links for details and more options: Pastorserve.net and sonscaperetreats.org
5. Clergy Care Retreats. Check out discounted rates for Pastors to get away. http://www.lawrencewilson.com/free-retreats-vacations-pastors/
6. A night out. Give clergy families a night out to a local restaurant.
7. Prayer. Organize a prayer calendar so each pastor is prayed for every day of the month.
8. Daily Gift for the Month. Each day one member delivers a gift to the pastor. Choose something of special interest to the pastor such as a bag of their favorite candy, fishing lure, tickets, etc.
9. Sabbath Retreat. 3 days and two nights for the Pastor to attend a spiritual retreat for their own spiritual well-being.
10. New Equipment. Some examples include: Ipad, Laptop, Cell Phone.
11. Dry Cleaning. Provide a month of dry cleaning service for the pastor and family.
12. Bonus. Give them a bonus and present it in church along with words of appreciation
13. Offer free sessions with a financial planning consultant. Provide sessions with a financial advisor who will help them budget, anticipate college education for children, and plan for retirement.
14. Library Addition. Provide a gift card for the Pastor to choose what is needed for his/her library.
15. Continuing Education. Offer financial assistance to further the pastor’s education.
16. Gifts for Pastor’s Children. Present gift certificates for the children of pastors to their favorite store.
17. Fitbit. A great idea for helping your pastor maintain physical health by tracking anything from steps, heart rate, sleep, calories, and more.
18. House Cleaning. Go as a group or hire a professional to care for the house inside and out. Consider a house washing, vehicle detailing, lawn maintenance, window cleaning and more.
19. Invite the kids on an outing. The next time you are going somewhere fun with your family, invite the pastor’s children along. They would appreciate this hospitality as much as their children.
20. Pay for a gym membership. Gym memberships might be out of the range of many pastors. The gift of a gym membership can lead to greater health, vitality, and community connection.